Skip to main content

Sometimes Those Examining the Well Intentioned Get it Wrong Themselves

Confederate Monument, Higginsville, Missouri.
The following is response to Al Benson's latest article "Sometimes Even the Well Intentioned Get it Wrong". It is an open letter to Al and let me be clear, a man I highly respect and appreciate. The matter at hand is that my "beef" is not with Mr. Benson but a greater problem at large. The "Deep South's" constant labeling Missouri a "Union" state.  Missouri seceded and gave heavily to "The Cause", perhaps in some ways more than any other.


Al sir,

While I have much respect for you I find myself in the EXACT same position that you have towards the Infowars article. I feel you have good intentions with this article BUT as a Missourian with Kentucky roots I have to take issue with the fact that you make the same mistake that many in the “Deep South” make. That mistake is lumping Missouri,, Kentucky & Maryland together as Southern beliefs but loyal to the Union. Maryland never had the chance to secede because of Lincoln’s blatant disregard of the Constitution, the suspension of Habeas Corpus and the arrest of state legislators.

Missouri tried to reach an agreement with Union authorities whereas the Feds would control St. Louis and the State Guard would protect the countryside. This changed when Frank Blair and General Lyon conspired to get General Harney removed from his position in St. Louis.

Harney did not want war Lyon and Blair did. In a last ditch effort the met at the Planters House hotel in St. Louis in June, 1861 with Governor Jackson and Sterling Price at which time Lyon stated he would kill every man , woman and child in Missouri rather than let it dictate its terms to the federal government.

It is at this point that the Governor and Price hopped a train back to Jefferson City burning all the railroad bridges behind them. The Union Army then sent troops via steamboat. The state legislature had to evacuate and later reconvened at Neosho, Missouri in October, 1861 AND PASSED AN ORDINANCE OF SECESSION.

After armed neutrality failed in Kentucky, they too passed an ordinance of secession.

Though I’m sure no disrespect is meant when individuals say that we remained loyal to the Union, we can’t help but feel disrespected when those in the “Deep South” make that claim. My state provided the “Dearest and the Best” to the Cause and without our help the Confederacy’s lifespan would have been shorted significantly.

Always a fan,
Clint

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Got Here , What Can We Do?

 For as long as I can remember both the Republican and Democratic parties have had their fair share of Lincoln defenders. The Republican Party was founded with the election of Abraham Lincoln thus Lincoln has been the party's trademark so to speak. The problem with this is that the Republican Party, presents itself as the party of smaller government, states rights and defenders of the Constitution and freedom. It is a problem because Lincoln was a proponent of big government, and committed acts that violated the Constitution. Ah, but defenders of Lincoln proclaim that President Lincoln had  to violate the Constitution to "save the Union." This defense of Lincoln by the Republican party has been effective from the end of the War Between the States until November , 2020 At the time of America's "Civil War" one could describe the Republicans as the Liberals and the Democrats as the Conservatives. This began to change with the election of President Franklin D. R...

Oklahoma Veteran Arrested for Defending Himself Against Alleged Meth- Maker

U.S. Army Veteran and Private Investigator Edwin Turlington. On the evening of April 14, 2014 Edwin Turlington, a U.S. Army Veteran and Private Investigator who lives in Delaware County, Oklahoma noticed two men starting a fire on adjacent property owned by his brother. Ed tells me, "When I purchased the property it was land locked so my brother purchased the property next to it so I would not have to get an easement." The incident has placed Mr. Turlington in a four year legal battle and facing a 10 year sentence if convicted. Mr. Turlington states he: "Found three strangers, including convicted drug dealer Darrell Philpott cooking Meth on land his brother recently contracted for and already acquired the right to possess. Relying on his law enforcement training and experience, Ed realized the men had taken the  license plates off their truck, which is a significant indicator they were going out into the community with bad intentions. Ed executed a citizen...

An Open Letter to Cape Girardeau Missouri Mayor Bob Fox Regarding the City's Confederate Monument

An Open Letter to Cape Girardeau Mayor Bob Fox, Cape Girardeau, Missouri Dear Mayor Fox, On June 12, 2020 KFVS-12 news interviewed a “community activist” who created a petition calling for the removal of a memorial honoring Southeast Missouri’s Confederate soldiers. In the interview Sophia Voss made a baseless claim that the statue was originally erected in 1931 near the old Mississippi River bridge on Morgan Oak street as a warning to African-American citizens traveling through the area. There is no basis for that claim whatsoever. KFVS also interviewed “community historian” Denise Lincoln who stated, “I think that if I were African-American, bringing my family through this area, and the first thing I saw was CSA, a monument to the Confederacy, this might be a town you just keep driving through.” I can’t help but feel that Mrs. Lincoln lacks professionalism and objectivity. If I were an African-American traveling through Cape Girardeau the first thing I would notice is the depleted co...